General Travel Insurance Questions

Why do I need travel insurance?
Travel Insurance will cover you for those unfortunate eventualities that can happen when travelling. Our standard and deluxe policies will cover you for cancellation, medical expenses, damage or theft of personal belongings, plus much more. Our basic policy isn’t as comprehensive as standard and deluxe (the price reflects this) but does still cover you for medical expenses amongst other things. Check out the Cover Summary within the policy wording document for a full listing of cover and sums insured.

When should I purchase travel insurance?
As soon as you book your holiday you are at risk of having to cancel, therefore you should buy your travel insurance as soon as you book your holiday/travel arrangements or soon after and be sure that the policy you are purchasing covers you for cancellation. Journeys Travel Insurance Standard and Deluxe policies cover cancellation.

What is an excess?
An excess is the first portion of a claim that you must pay yourself. The amount varies depending on the policy section. Where you submit a successful claim, the excess is deducted from any payment made to you.

What do I do if my passport is lost or stolen abroad?
If your passport is lost or stolen, you should report it to the nearest police authority within 24 hours of discovery and obtain a written police report. You will need the crime reference details the police provide for the LS01 (which is the Lost or Stolen Passport Notification) form. You should also report the loss or theft to the UK Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) embassy, consulate or high commission of the country you are in. You can get details of your local FCO office wherever you are by calling +44 (0)20 7008 1500 (0870 606 0290 within the UK) or by visiting the FCO website. The FCO should issue you with replacement travel documents so you are able to travel back to the UK.

What is an EHIC? And if I have one, why do I need travel insurance as well?
An EHIC is a European Health Insurance Card, it will enable you to access state-provided healthcare in European Economic Area (EEA) countries, including Switzerland, at a reduced cost, or sometimes for free. It will cover your treatment until you return to the UK. Some people make the mistake of assuming that if they have an EHIC then they are fully covered for travel in Europe. This is not the case. If you need to be flown back home, your flight and any medical equipment required for the transport won’t be covered. If your property is lost or stolen, you won’t be covered. If you need mountain rescue at a ski resort you won’t be covered. Therefore, it is important to have both an EHIC and a valid travel insurance policy. Some insurers now insist that you hold an EHIC, and many including Journeys Travel Insurance will waive the excess under the Medical & Other expenses section of the policy, if the EHIC is utilised.

Buying a Policy with Journeys Travel Insurance

Why buy a policy with Journeys Travel Insurance?
Journeys Travel Insurance have been providing travel insurance to millions of customers since 1991 and we pride ourselves on our products and service. When arranging your travel insurance through Journeys Travel Insurance you can be confident you are dealing with a reputable company. We are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority, registered number 312339. You can check this on the FCA’s register. Our insurance policies are underwritten by ETI – International Travel Protection who are travel insurance specialists and members of the Financial Ombudsman Scheme (FOS).
How do I purchase my insurance policy with Journeys Travel Insurance?
It’s simple, either buy your policy online where you will benefit from a quick and easy booking process, or if you prefer to speak to someone about your travel insurance needs you can call our friendly call centre team on 01784 772 668.

What type of policy should I buy?
When purchasing a travel insurance policy there are a number of things you need to consider. Who are you travelling with, how many times you plan to travel and what level of cover you are looking for. Below we explain in more detail how you can decide what is best for you: For example, if you are a couple it may be cheaper to purchase the ‘couple’ option but you should note that for single trip policies you must travel together however on annual trip policies you may travel independently. There are other criteria you must meet too, below we explain in brief but please refer to our ‘policy wording document’ for a full explanation and terms and conditions.

Individual – anyone over the age of 18 may purchase our policy

Family Cover constitutes two adults, husband, wife or partner or legal guardians (under 66) travelling with unlimited dependent children, adopted or fostered children, or grandchildren, plus two non-family children (Single Trip), under 18 years ( in full time education) at departure, residing at the same address and in full time education. Children under 3 must be accompanied by parents. Children must travel with one of the insured adults.

One Parent Family Cover When only one parent or legal guardian (under 66 years) travels with unlimited dependent children, under 18 years at departure date.

Couple – 2 adults (under 66) living together as if husband/wife (including same sex partner) for at least 6 consecutive months. No children allowed on couple policies.

Basic Cover – please refer to the ‘schedule of cover’ on page 3 of our policy wording document for a full list of cover

Standard Cover – please refer to the ‘schedule of cover’ on page 3 of our policy wording document for a full list of cover

Deluxe Cover – please refer to the ‘schedule of cover’ on page 3 of our policy wording document for a full list of cover

Single Trip – if you only intend on travelling on one trip (out and back) then you probably just need a single trip policy however if you are going to be travelling on more than two trips in a twelve-month period it maybe more cost effective to purchase an annual multi trip policy. Please note there is a maximum duration of 356 days for persons up to the age of 65, or for persons 66 and over the maximum duration is 120 days.

Annual Multi Trip – our annual multi trip policy allows you to go away as many times as you want in a twelve-month period. Please note there is a maximum per trip duration, the length of which depends on your age:

Age 65 and under – max 45 days per trip leisure or 90 days business

Age 66 and over – 31 days per trip leisure or 31 days business.

When should I start my annual multi trip policy?
Our annual multi trip policy (standard and deluxe) cancellation cover commences on the date you choose for the policy to start (up to 2 months in advance). If you have booked any part of a trip, you should set the insurance start date from the actual day you purchase the policy to ensure your cancellation cover begins right away.

How many times can I go away if I have an annual multi-trip policy?
When you buy an annual multi trip policy with Journeys Travel Insurance you are covered to go away as many times as you wish during the twelve months of cover. Don’t forget however that there is a maximum per trip duration, the length of which depends on your age:

Age 65 and under max 45 days per trip(leisure) or max 90 days(business)

Age 66 and over 31 days per trip (leisure or business)

How many children can I insure on my ‘family’ travel insurance policy?
When purchasing a family policy, providing 2 adults or legal guardians are travelling we cover an unlimited number of dependent children providing they are under 18 years of age at time of departure and are in full time education. Children must travel with one of the insured adults. Children under 3 years of age must be accompanied by parents.

Does my family policy cover me, or anyone else named on the policy, for independent travel (i.e. on their own)?
The adults (over 18’s) are permitted to travel independently on a family policy however children under the age of 18 are not covered to travel alone, they must travel with one of the named adults on the policy.

What is the maximum age you can insure up to?
Our online policies are available to persons up to and including the age of 79 years, providing they meet the criteria of the policy and those that require medical screening have been medically screened and advised of any exclusions or additional premiums. Anyone over the age of 79 should call our friendly customer service team on 01784 772668 as we may be able to offer alternative policies to fit your requirements. Customers who are over the age of 66 will only be offered deluxe cover.

What is a UK resident? Are you able to cover non-UK residents?
For the purposes of our policies a UK resident is deemed as someone who has been legally resident in the UK for a minimum of 6 months and who is registered with a UK registered General Practitioner.

Can you insure non-UK residents?
Our policies are only available to persons who are legal residents in the UK and have been for a minimum of 6 months and who are registered with a UK Registered General Practitioner. Cover must be purchased prior to travel.

What am I covered for?
Depending on what policy you choose will determine what cover you have. For a full list of benefits and levels of cover please refer to the ‘schedule of benefits’ on page 3 of the policy wording document. Full terms and conditions can also be found within the policy wording document.

What are the terms and conditions when purchasing a policy with Journeys Travel Insurance?
Our terms of business along with our policy wording document are detailed on our website and are also attached to your confirmation email when purchasing a policy. It is essential that you read through these documents very carefully, so you know what you are/are not covered for.

Are there any exclusions to a Journeys Travel Insurance policy?
There are some exclusions that apply to the policies we offer. To check the policy exclusions, please take a look at the policy wording document.

What is an excess?
An excess is the amount that you would need to pay towards a claim. The excess amounts vary depending on the section you are claiming are under. Excess amounts are detailed on page 4 of our policy wording document.

Can I waive the excess on my policy?
When you buy a Journeys Travel insurance policy you can opt to waive the excess on the policy. If you waive the policy excess the policy price is slightly higher. This option is offered on the quote page when booking online, simply tick the box if you wish to add excess waiver.

I’m going on a cruise; how do I find a policy?
Our ‘deluxe’ policy covers cruise trips for up to 30 days in length – please check policy wording for full details of cover. Cruise cover is not available on basic or standard policies.

I’m going on a ski holiday, what policy do I need?
Our basic and standard policies will not cover you for skiing or any winter sports, you will need to purchase a deluxe policy and add on the appropriate winter sports package. There are 2 options, level 1 (basic) or level 2 (advanced incl piste closure) – please refer to the section M on pages 24/25 of our policy wording document.

Is cover available for pre-existing medical conditions?
Like most travel policies, please note that a Journeys Travel insurance policy will not cover for anything that arises from, is related to, or has been caused by, ANY pre-existing medical conditions you, anyone in your party, a close relative or someone upon the trip depends has, unless they you told us about ALL of these conditions and we have agreed to cover them.

Should you, anyone on the policy or a close relative have a pre-existing medical condition/s, we may still be able to offer cover, but you will need to speak with our medical screening team. Please call them on 01784 772670. They will ask you a few questions regarding the condition/s and let you know if we are able to offer cover for any claims relating to the condition/s.

Our medical screening team are available Monday-Friday 9.00 -5.15

Who is classed as a close relative?
The following are deemed as close relatives: Spouse, Parent, Step Parent, Parent in law, grandparent, legal guardian, stepchild, grandchild, brother, sister, brother/sister in law, son/daughter(including adopted and fostered), son/daughter in law, aunts and uncles, nephews and nieces or fiancé(e), Common Law Partner being the person living with You as if husband or wife, including same sex partner, for at least six consecutive months.

What do I need to take on holiday with me?
We advise you take your travel insurance certificate and the relevant policy wording booklet away with you. These documents contain full details of your insurance cover along with emergency contact details whilst you are away. If you do not have these documents, please contact us on 01784 772668 or email and we can email these to you.

I am having problems completing payment, why?
Our quick and clear website should make it easy for you to purchase a policy online, however if you do experience any issues during the booking process please call our friendly customer services team on 01784 772668 or alternatively email

Policy Admin (Making a Change/Cancelling a Policy)

Who do I contact to make changes to my policy?
If you need to make any amendments to your policy simply give our friendly call centre staff a call on 01784 772668 who will be happy to assist you.

Can I cancel my policy?
Your insurance policy contains a ‘cooling off’ period which allows you to return the insurance policy and certificate within 14 days of the date of issue or prior to travel (whichever is sooner) and obtain a full refund providing the no claims have been made or are pending.
What do I do if I don’t receive my documents or I need another copy?
When purchasing your policy online your policy documents will be emailed to you immediately, if you are purchasing over the telephone you will be given the option to have your documents emailed or posted to you. Should you not receive your documents simply call 01784 772668 and our team will be happy to assist you.

Making a Claim

How do I make a claim?
Should you need to make a claim on your policy simply call our friendly claim team on 01403 788983 or email